So, you’ve purchased self-tanner…Now what?
Keys to Success:
- Clean & exfoliate. Duh. I love using Loving Tan’s Tan Removing & Skin Polishing Glove for this in the shower right before. It’s so good it even scrubs off my leftover tanner from the week prior!
- Dry your body & moisturize the rough areas. I like to put Jergens lotion on my feet, ankles, elbows, and hands because I find the product can get more concentrated in these areas making them get darker than others.
- Apply it using a latex glove. I use this trick for every type of self tanner I’ve ever used. Don’t use an actual self-tanning glove/mitten because it absorbs so much product – what a waste! Plus, then you have to spend time washing the glove later. Let’s be smart, girls. I start with the right glove on and first apply tanner to the left hand/arm, this way I can avoid my palms and only put it on the back of my hand. Then I put the other glove on and apply tanner to the rest of my body. Lastly, I take off the right glove, and use my left glove to apply tanner to the back of my right hand. Done! (Oh, and don’t forget your wrists – rookie mistake.) Btw, I apply only up to my neck. I do not use regular self-tanner on my face because I break out and my face wash strips the color off in the morning anyway. Annoying.)
- Need help with your back? Use Loving Tan’s back applicator!
- NOTE: If using a regular tanner (not the 2 hour express), apply to body at night before you go to bed. Otherwise, plan accordingly so you can have it on for 2 hours. Two hours may seem nuts, but I use this time to cook (wearing gloves so I don’t ruin my hands), get work done, etc.
- If using Loving Tan 2 Hour Express, wait 2 hours and then shower it off with a regular bar of soap. If using a regular tanner, shower when you wake up the next morning.when you wake up the next morning (try at least 8 hours after application). The excess color will rinse off – do not be alarmed.
- IMPORTANT – Once you get out of the shower, apply a moisturizing body lotion (I love Jergens). Do this daily after you get out of the shower when your skin is still a little damp.
- Load up with lotion on your tough spots. I always put a small blob of lotion on my big toes and elbows and let it sit for 2-3 mins before rubbing it in. This prevents that dark build-up because nobody likes orange toes and elbows. Amiright?! (Don’t worry – It may look like you rubbed off your tanner in those areas, but I PROMISE it will look even and flawless. Trust me!)
- Wipe off your palms and nails! I do this with a wet paper towel, but be careful not to get anything else wet. Even though you didn’t tan your palms, you did use them to apply lotion afterward, so the color will spread a little to your palms. Not full-blown Snookie style, but enough to look a little orange.
- Be patient. Loving Tan’s 2 Hour Express will darken over the next 8-12 hours after rinsing it off. So if you rinse it off and are disappointed why you’re not a bronzed goddess yet, just wait! You’ll look like JLo in no time.
I know this seems like a lot, but it really just seems like that because I like to blab. Good luck and let me know if this works for you!